Sweetwater Creek, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-up required.
Welcome to the new Friday Walks returning after an 18 month health recess. With the return are a few new Rules:
You MUST sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance for Sacramento Valley CNPS Friday Walks. This is a permanent change required by CNPS statewide. Note that this Waiver is for Sacramento Valley CNPS Friday Walks only and does not cover Sacramento Valley CNPS Field Trips nor any Events or Field Trips offered by other CNPS Chapters. The only difference with the Sacramento Valley CNPS Friday Walks Liability Waiver is that once signed it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
For now the Friday Walks will also have a limit on the number of participants. Initially the limit is 15 attendees plus 1 leader. Only 4 new to Friday Walks attendees can sign up for each walk during this initial restart of Friday Walks. If your name appears on a sign in sheet after January 1, 2013 you are not considered a new attendee.
Walks held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening if heavy rain is in the forecast.
Friday, October 15, 9:30am – 12:30pm, Sweetwater Trail, Folsom SRA
Sweetwater Creek Trail is off Salmon Falls Rd and heads out to the South Fork of the American River. The South Fork of the American River is now so low that we can cross the Old Salmon Falls Bridge should we desire. A surprising number of plants are in bloom near the river’s edge including Seep Spring and Scarlet monkeyflower. Though past bloom, we’ll also see Sonoma sage, Redbud, Silk tassel, Chamise, Lemmon’s Ceanothus, and Buck brush. For more information email John Schmidt or phone .
Bring water, hat, sun protection, extra layers and a snack. Some may want a walking stick. We’ll try to avoid tall dried grassy sections.
There is limited parking at the trailhead for about 10-15 cars.
Meet at the teardrop on this map or use the directions below. It’s about 30 minutes from Sunrise and Hwy 50 to the meeting area.
Driving directions from Sacramento:
– Travel east on Highway 50
– Take exit 30B -El Dorado Hills Blvd.
– Drive north on El Dorado Hills for about 3.5 miles to Green Valley Rd.
– As you cross Green Valley Rd at 3.5 miles the road name changes to Salmon Falls Rd.
– Follow Salmon Falls Rd. right toward Pilot Hill at the fork ¼ mile past Green Valley Rd.
– Continue on Salmon Falls Rd about 4 miles. You will climb past Falcon Crest on your left at the top of one long climb. Continue past Falcon Crest as the road curves to the right and descend to Sweetwater Creek. As you reach the bottom of the hill, slow down. At the very bottom of this descent, the Sweetwater parking area will on your left after crossing a small bridge. There is a small white trailhead gate on you left with space for about for about 10 vehicles including on the left road shoulder as the road curves up the next hill.
– If you pass the parking area, there are some driveways about 300 yards ahead that can be used for turning around.
Parking is free at the trailhead.
No facilities are available at the trailhead.